Monday, August 20, 2007

Adventures in Massillon

So tonight the hubby and I were both tired. I came home from work and took a nap on the chaise lounge while he watched TV. (How romantic for newlyweds.) We decided that for dinner we would go to BK because I wanted a milkshake. Damn... the road was closed. Instead of driving around the community to get there, we decide to go to Taco Bell. Our first warning about eating at such a fine establishment tonight should have been the crowded parking lot and the drive thru with 10 cars waiting. Instead, we ignore the signs of a bad evening and go into Taco Bell. After standing there for a couple seconds to check the menu (which is rather pointless... we both already knew what we wanted), we are greeted by a not so friendly, not so enthusiastic, monotone stoner at the register:

Pleasant employee: "Welcome to Taco Bell. Would you like to try a new Grande Quesadilla?"

Hubby: "No. Can we get a #9 with no tomatoes or onions"

Pleasant employee: "No tomatoes or what?"

Hubby: "No tomatoes or onions"

Pleasant employee: "No what?"

Me: "Just no tomatoes"

That should have been sign #2 for the evening, but we still continued to ignore all the red flags and flashing lights telling us to retreat back to the apartment. That just gave way to this:

Pleasant Employee: "Do you want anything to drink"

Hubby: "Our orders come with drinks."

At this point, the employee takes our receipt and looks it over for a long time. He then retreats to the opposite end of the counter and brings back 1 cup... Hmm... There are 2 of us and we ordered 2 drinks... DUH! Upon Hubby asking for our second cup, the odd ritual started again. He took the receipt from me and stared for a really long time. Hubby then decides to interject and let the stupid stoner know that we ordered 2 combo meals, both of which include drinks, but yet he gave us only one cup. The dumbfounded employee goes to the opposite end of the counter and brings back another cup. At this point in time I grab the cup from him and turn around really fast so he can not see my laughter. I'm sure he could tell when I raised my hand up to cover my mouth that I was laughing. The other people standing there waiting started to giggle a little too.

By this point in time, I am annoyed... and slightly entertained by the overly "charismatic" employee...

But the experience gets better.

After waiting for 10 minutes, I'm getting a little irritated. Me + hungry + waiting for food = a bad situation for whomever my wrath falls upon. But, with Hubby being the only one to sense my bad mood, everyone else just went about making even bigger mistakes...and the children there kept screaming for their mother...

After about 5 more minutes of waiting, the workers realize the kid working the window has handed the wrong bag to a drive thru customer... meaning this person has received MY MEAL!
The person realizes before driving off that he has the incorrect meal and comes inside to claim his real order. I then whispered to Hubby that if they even try to serve us the food that was already out of their possession and in a strangers car, I am going to call the health department. I think they may have heard me say this, but I'm irritated and I don't care. They continue making meals and filling orders that came after ours. Hubby eventually, after a total time of 20 minutes of waiting, walks up to the counter with the receipt and this is what happens (with a completely straight face)

Hubby: Are you guys going to make order 251?

Manager: That order is already done.

Hubby: Then can I eat it?

At this point in time, the manager is very confused and even tilts her head to the side a little like a dog does when he doesn't understand the command. So Hubby dumbs it down and explains.

Hubby: We still do not have our order and we have been waiting for over 20 minutes.

Manager: We will get that right up for you.

Of course, the whole time I am looking over Hubby's shoulder to make sure they do not pull food from the served and returned bag, making sure the stoner at the register does not spit in the food, and making sure they do not put tomatoes on my Crunch Wrap. After another few minutes we are handed a bag of food. I take it over to a table where the employees can see me and open to bag to inspect its contents. Not only did I inspect the contents of the bag, I pulled out my Crunch Wrap and opened it to make sure there were no tomatoes. As I grabbed the bag from the table, I glared at the employees (it is not good to make me wait on food.) As we refilled our drinks (that we had enough time to drink over half of) and walked out, I told Hubby in a rather loud manner "We could have gone to Belden and been back by the time they were done. I don't want to come to this Taco Bell anymore! I'm going to warn everyone in the parking lot that they shouldn't be in a hurry because they are going to wait for 30 minutes like we did!" To this Hubby added "I was about to jump back behind the counter and do it myself. It isn't rocket science."

I did not turn around to get any reactions, even though I'm sure I was called a biotch and given the finger from under the counter. They were just lucky there were children in the building or else I would have used more colorful language...

The moral of this story: Drugs are bad...even for people who work in fast food...

No comments: